Updated: Mar 29
“You are what you eat.” Do you get breakouts after eating chocolates or oily foods? How about dairy products like milk and yogurt? These are some of the foods that can trigger pimples and acne. Do you see fine lines and wrinkles on your skin? Do spend long hours in the sun? Do you smoke, drink more than 3 standard drinks a week, use recreational drugs, or take lots unnecessary pharmaceutical medications?
If you do, NOW would be a good time to stop if you want to improve the health of your skin. Too much sun exposure, environmental toxins and an unhealthy diet causes free radicals to form in our body. Free radicals contribute to fine lines, wrinkles, skin damage, and premature ageing. This is the reason why we are best to be mindful of the food that we eat.
Sticking to a clean and healthy diet and focusing on getting in lots of foods that are rich in antioxidants (found mainly in colorful fruits and vegetables) is key. Antioxidants help fight free radical formation. It's a simple fact: The higher the level of antioxidants in the skin, the smoother and healthier it is.
So, what are the foods that can help us achieve healthy, beautiful, clear skin?
1. Fish that is low in heavy metals - are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids - helping to reduce inflammation and protein which helps to build collagen and elastin.
2. Good carbohydrates - veggies, fruits and unprocessed whole grains provide fiber, vitamin and minerals that are essential for healthy skin.
3. Colorful fruits and vegetables - Make a colourful rainbow meal as brightly coloured veggies are rich in carotenoids and flavonoids (antioxidant phytonutrients).
4. Nuts and seeds - almonds, walnuts, flax seeds and chia seeds are good sources of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats.
5. Drink plenty of fluids - Water, lemon water, and herbal tea are the best for our body. It is very important to stay well hydrated at all times as our body needs fluids to help transport nutrients and excrete waste.